Fame

The Famous Quotes of The Month

You can get awful famous in this country in seven days.

— Gary Hart

To see one’s name in print! Some people commit a crime for no other reason.

— Gustave Flaubert

Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.

— George Bernard Shaw

Our admiration is so given to dead martyrs that we have little time for living heroes.

— Elbert Hubbard

Fame is proof that the people are gullible.

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Obscurity and competence - that is the life that is best worth living.

— Mark Twain

We’re more popular than Jesus Christ now.

— John Lennon

My face is my passport.

— Vladimir Horowitz

The nice thing about being a celebrity is that when you bore people, they think it’s their fault.

— Henry A. Kissinger

It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn’t give it up because by that time I was too famous.

—Robert Benchley

. . . be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

— William Shakespeare

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire public relations officers.

— Daniel J. Boorstin

Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon. I am the first man to piss his pants on the moon.

— Buzz Aldrin

You’re always a little disappointing in person because you can’t be the edited essence of yourself.

— Mel Brooks

A man’s great fame must always be measured against the means used to acquire it.

— Francois de La Rochefoucauld

I was the toast of two continents: Greenland and Australia.

— Dorothy Parker (attrib.)

In the future, everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes.

— Andy Warhol

I’m famous. That’s my job.

— Jerry Rubin

Ah just love bein’ famous, and ah think anybody who says they don’t is full of s***.

— Johnny Winter

I don’t mind if my skull ends up on a shelf as long as it’s got my name on it.

— Debbie Harry

The only man who wasn’t spoiled by being lionized was Daniel.

— Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree

A modest man is usually admired - if people ever hear of him.

— Edgar Watson Howe

To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.

— Albert Einstein

Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.

— Robert Heinlein

There’s only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

— Oscar Wilde

The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his ass.

— General Joseph Stillwell

My God, who do they think I am - everybody?

— Leonard Bernstein, at the end of an exceptionally busy day