Fame

The Famous Quotes of The Month

You can get awful famous in this country in seven days.

Gary Hart

To see one’s name in print! Some people commit a crime for no other reason.

Gustave Flaubert

Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.

George Bernard Shaw

Our admiration is so given to dead martyrs that we have little time for living heroes.

Elbert Hubbard

Fame is proof that the people are gullible.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Obscurity and competence - that is the life that is best worth living.

Mark Twain

We’re more popular than Jesus Christ now.

John Lennon

My face is my passport.

Vladimir Horowitz

The nice thing about being a celebrity is that when you bore people, they think it’s their fault.

Henry A. Kissinger

It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn’t give it up because by that time I was too famous.

Robert Benchley

. . . be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

William Shakespeare

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire public relations officers.

Daniel J. Boorstin

Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon. I am the first man to piss his pants on the moon.

Buzz Aldrin

You’re always a little disappointing in person because you can’t be the edited essence of yourself.

Mel Brooks

A man’s great fame must always be measured against the means used to acquire it.

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

I was the toast of two continents: Greenland and Australia.

Dorothy Parker (attrib.)

In the future, everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes.

Andy Warhol

I’m famous. That’s my job.

Jerry Rubin

Ah just love bein’ famous, and ah think anybody who says they don’t is full of s***.

Johnny Winter

I don’t mind if my skull ends up on a shelf as long as it’s got my name on it.

Debbie Harry

The only man who wasn’t spoiled by being lionized was Daniel.

Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree

A modest man is usually admired - if people ever hear of him.

Edgar Watson Howe

To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.

Albert Einstein

Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.

Robert Heinlein

There’s only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde

The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his ass.

General Joseph Stillwell

My God, who do they think I am - everybody?

Leonard Bernstein, at the end of an exceptionally busy day