Honesty

Honesty is the best policy, but he who is governed by that maxim is not an honest man.

Richard Whateley

Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man.

Napoleon Bonaparte

All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.

Tennessee Williams

There is one way to find out if a man is honest--ask him. If he says yes, you know he is crooked.

Groucho Marx

An honest God is the noblest work of man.

Robert G. Ingersoll

He’s an honest man--you could shoot craps with him over the phone.

Earl Wilson

“Sayings”

Don’t call a man honest just because he never had the chance to steal.

Yiddish saying

Honesty is the best policy (but sometimes it has a high premium).

“Jokes”

At long last the good-humored boss felt compelled to call Fitch into his office. “It has not escaped my attention,” he pointed out gently, “that every time there is a big home game, you have to take your aunt to the doctor.”

“You know, you’re right, sir,” exclaimed Fitch. “I hadn’t realized. You don’t suppose she’s faking it, now do you?”

As he lay dying, the old codger turned to his wife and murmured softly, “When I limped home from the final campaign in 1918, you were waiting for me, Rachel. When I was released from Dachau at the end of World War II, you were by my side.” Overcome with emotion, the old man stopped to snort loudly into a handkerchief, then continued. “Rachel, when we sold everything to start a business in the new world and it went bust and left us penniless, there you were. And now, here I am breathing my last, and here you still by the bedside. Rachel, I’m telling you--You’re a jinx.”